Questions that help me decide the value of a project:
- Do I get to learn something I’ve always wanted to learn?
- Can I re-purpose or re-use the code or concepts?
- Is the end product something useful?
- Will this help people?
- Does the project have a clear set of objectives?
- Are there interesting problems?
- Do the people I’m working for have similar values?
- Are there elegant ways to solve these problems?
- Do I think I can do a better job than most?
- Is the interface important?
- Are the deadlines reasonable?
- What percentage of the time will I be thinking creatively?
- What percentage of the time will I be doing trivial or tedious work?
Questions that help me decide the cost of a project:
- How long will this take?